EUSS Family Permit. Child over 21 of a spouse of a Swiss or EEA citizen

You may be granted an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit if you are aged 21 years or over, if you are the child of a spouse (husband or wife) of a Swiss or EEA citizen, and if you are dependent on your parent or on your parent’s spouse at 31 December 2020 (if you have resided in the UK prior to 31 December 2020), or at the date of the application (if you have not resided in the UK prior to 31 December 2020).

Both your family relationship to your parent and your parent’s family relationship to their spouse must continue to exist at the date of application.

What does it mean that you are “dependent”? It means that you cannot meet your essential living needs (in whole or in part) without the financial or other material support provided to you by your parent or by your parent’s spouse. There is no need to determine the reasons for that dependence or for the recourse to that support.

If your are financially dependent, you can demonstrate this by providing bank statements or receipts from money transfer services. If you need the personal care of your parent (or of their spouse) on serious health grounds, you may bring as evidence of your dependence, for example, a letter from a hospital consultant.

Your parent’s spouse must have been resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 and must have been granted settled or pre-settled status on this basis. Their settled or pre-settled status must not have lapsed or been cancelled, curtailed, revoked or invalidated. You must provide in your application for an EUSS Family Permit the reference number of the application for settled or pre-settled status made by your parent’s spouse (a 16-digit number).

You must not be a British citizen. You may be Swiss, EEA (a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein), or a non-EEA citizen. If you are a Swiss or EEA citizen, you can apply directly for pre-settled status from outside the UK, without applying for an EUSS Family Permit first.

You must apply for pre-settled status within 3 months of your arrival in the UK if you wish to remain in the UK after the expiry date of your EUSS Family Permit.

If you want to apply for an EUSS Family Permit and need specialist advice, feel free to contact me. Please note that I am an accredited immigration adviser, not an employee of the UK Visas and Immigration. I charge fees for the advice provided.